Sunday, September 27

Denial... it's what's for Breakfast

Denial. Denial. Denial.
A lovely little word.
"De-ni-al. // : a refusal to admit reality or the truth."
Reality slapped me in the face today. I think my daughter is spoiled.... I'll let you decide for yourself:

"Mommy, I'm hungry"
"What would you like for breakfast, my love"
" Umm...... scrambled eggs and peanut butter toast"
"Sorry honey, we're all out of eggs, but I'll get you some toast"
"Awwww..... I WANT EGGS"
"Well,.... we don't have eggs. please put that whiny voice away..."

Now, I must emphasise.... how much I LOATHE the whiny voice. Seriously..... I can handle a lot of things about parenting. Whining is NOT one of them. Tolerance ~ zero!!
But, (le sigh).... life is categorically unfair, and I have been blessed with a child who is able to add a pitch to her whiny voice that sends me over the edge. 0 - crazy in 3 seconds flat.

But, off I go to make the "peanut butter toast".

Whiny voice has ceased. Blood pressure .... normal.

Yesterday she liked the little triangles I made. I decide to repeat the fun.

So, I make the toast. I cut the toast in triangles. I am proud of the toast. I bring her the toast. She looks at the toast. Then, her face squishes up and ..... I brace myself.
I have seen this look before......

" Awww, I don't want the triangles like that. I'M NOT EATING IT!!!! .... HMMMPH"

Plate is flicked across the table (that's right..... flicked!..lord held me). Arms crossed in a huff.

I pause. Not eating it?

I ask myself...... "Did she just do that, over a slice of freakin' TOAST? " The voice said ...... "Yes Michele, she did." My child.... my darling, sweet, loving child is spoiled.

and so, I finally said: (in my best "mom"voice) EXACTLY what my mother said to me!!

(although, I did sound more like Tom Hanks shouting... "there's no crying in baseball" )

"C'mon.... there's no crying over toast....!!!!! Eat it, or don't eat it. But, you know what? ~ there are lots of little boys and girls in the world who don't have enough to eat."

"Fine then." she replies with the defiance of a teenager. " maybe you should just give it to THEM"

10 comments:

amanda said...

Oh no she didn't!
ha ha. I remember my father using the same line with lima beans. I, just like your daughter said to give them to the hungry kids.
cute blog!
following from MBC.
amanda @ lunchboxlimbo.blogspot.com

mama connie said...

My mother would say " You don't want this? Then get away from the table because you are not getting anything else." Believe me from then on I started eating everything she gave me. Didn't like going without food at all so decided I better eat what is given to me.

Chef Eureka said...

Hehehehe, yup, I've heard that one before. The whiney voice is like nails on a chalkboard. It just makes me go nutty.

I'm hopping over from MBC to follow you :)

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

OMG that whiny "Gimme" voice. I swear I'd give the child a Porsche if it would have stopped that sound :)

Kristen said...

Ouch! She is a smart cookie. My "aha moment" was when I came back from the store and my daughter asked me what I got her. I realized in that moment that I had always bought her something. Always. So I gave her whatever trinket I bought her and then I explained that I wouldn't be buying her stuff every time I went shopping. I think it was more difficult for me then for her.

Momma Such said...

Ha ha! I love that the first post I read on your blog has completely reeled me in! I was the oldest of 3 girls at my house, and now I'm raising 4 boys, which is so very different than what I was used to. However, I'm pretty well getting the wrestling and hotting and hollering and bug catching and dirty, messy behavior down pat. Oh, who am I kidding? lol

I'm your newest follower! I found your blog at MBC! Feel free to stop by my site. I'll have more giveaways up soon so be sure to check back often. http://raisingmy4sons.com

Ang said...

Oh that whining voice, I hear it every day from my 6 yearold.

I am stopping by from MBC and I am now a follower.

Nikki said...

Found you on mbc. Lovin' the posts. You're a great writer and your daughter sounds about like my kids!

nikki
thechocolatemousseblog.blogspot.com

Clueless_Mama said...

Hi! I love this post. I am the same way, I don't do well with whining! it makes me nuts. Your little girl sounds like a little pistol! Cute and smart.

Lisa said...

Oh man, I needed a good laugh today and the Tom Hanks line did it for me.

I feel your pain about the whining. Oh. My. God. They have NO IDEA how annoying they sound. But, so, you're telling me it doesn't STOP anytime soon?? Gah.