Saturday, January 9

The Chinook Wind ~ Straight Jacket Optional

Mother Nature has a sense of humour, and it's called the Chinook.
For those of you cursed blessed to live in Southern Alberta, you know of which I speak.
To those unfamiliar with the Chinook, it is a beautiful warm wind that blows in during the winter, and can turn -30 into T-shirt weather in a matter of a few hours. 

One of the most striking features is the chinook arch, which is a band of  clouds caused by air rippling over the mountains .  They can also create stunning sunrises and sunsets. It's absolutely awsome to see. 
It's a wonderful, strange event that most Albertan's look forward to.  It's our little reprieve from a long and nasty winter.










(insert Ooooh's and Ahhhh's here)










We pray for this day, we yearn for it, we celebrate it's arrival ~ and then
. . . WE ALL GO FRICKEN CRAZY!!!
Like I said,
Mother Nature is a bitch has a sense of humour.
What do you mean? You may be asking yourself... cuz so far, everything seems warm and fuzzy wonderful.  

Awesome fact 1.  These warm winds have been documented to cause insomnia.










Awesome fact 2.  The legendary wind has been blamed for causing people to act strangely - even to go mad.










Awesome fact 3.  It's not unusual to hear people say the Chinook gives them a severe headache, or migraine.










Awesome fact 4.  Highly strung people may begin to shake or fidget








Awesome fact 5.  Susceptible people may suffer nervous disorders










Awesome fact 6.  Chinook winds can also increase hositle behaviour do to the change in barametric pressure.










Awesome fact 7.  Studies have shown an increase in erratic behaviour in people suffering from mental disorders.

Awesome fact 8.  This has also been known to affect local wildlife,









and domestic animals as well...








So, there ya have it.  I'm gonna kick back, strap myself in, and enjoy the melting snow.  Maybe I'll watch a good movie....

15 comments:

Lori E said...

Us folks over her in British Columbia try to block off all the roads when this happens to keep you whacked out crazy Chinook lovin' Albertans in your own province. You guys carry guns.

SamiJoe said...

hello and nice to meet you (waving)!

http://peekthruourwindow.blogspot.com/2009/12/were-chinooking.html

I'm off Cochrane way....

otin said...

So what you are really saying is that Trinity had better watch out calling you names while these warm winds turn you into a crazy woman? hahaha!

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Never heard of it, but it sounds cool. Uh, I mean warm. I don't know what I mean, but it's different from anything we have here.

Chelsea said...

I could insert a whole bunch of Alberta people jokes... Love the post... gave me a good laugh :-)

Amo said...

I've heard of this, but I didn't know what it was exactly...now I know it is a crazy-makin' wind. Good information!

mudmama said...

Interesting info!

So, chinooks and ... ? (insert distraction of choice)

Arizona Mamma said...

That's a new one to me! But where I live, it's most always warm...and too often, HOT. Thanks for commenting on the post I did for (Un)Experienced Mom's blog.

ModernMom said...

I;ve heard all of those things! As a migraine sufferer I will stay way over on this side of the country during your Chinooks!

Maven said...

I didn't realize you were a fellow Canadian!

Being from Winterpeg originally and now on Vancouver Island I've never experienced a chinook.

I realy enjoyed reading this!

Eternally Distracted said...

The pictures are definitely worthy of a few awwwwws...but the side effects?? Well, they kinda sound similar to a night out on the town after too many vodkas!

blueviolet said...

It only lasts one day? We get a January thaw but it's nowhere near t-shirt weather!

carma said...

I'm doing all those things - even w/out the Chinook wind :D

Flying Giggles and Lollipops said...

That is beautiful, but keep those winds far away from here. There are too many crazy people in LA already!

Christine said...

Uh...we get 'lake effect' weather around these parts and I swear from this moment on....I'll quit bitching about it.

Think I'll go curl up in a corner. You should too...and I wouldn't blame you at all if you started sucking your thumb:)