Sunday, January 17

Counting Blue Cars

We were off to run errands. Again, nothing out of the ordinary. Banking, dry cleaning.. Trinity was being a goofy, giggling bag of knock-knock jokes.  Beyonce was on the radio, telling all us single ladies that he "shoulda put a ring on it". The mid-afternoon sun blazing high in the Chinook sky.

In the blink of an eye, that all changed.
My heart stopped beating on the corner of 2nd and Main.

I remember the blood curdling screams from the back seat.  In a split second I was convinced that she somehow managed to light herself on fire.

"AAAAAAEEEEE, MOMMMMMY!!!!!! OH MY GOD - STOP THE CAR, STOP THE CAR, STOP THE CAR!!!! "
The eyes in the back of my head saw her unbuckle the seatbelt and throw herself against the back window, mushing her face against the half frozen glass.

I slam on  breaks, slide sideways in the intersection, and come to a screeching halt directly in line with the oncoming traffic. I did a quick assessment. . . Nope, heart still not beating yet.  Better check the girl.
I flip around, she is not on fire, she is not bleeding. She is smiling.
I get out of the intersection and pull off to the side of the road to avoid making the 6 o'clock news.

"Trinity... are you okay? What's going on? What happened???" (try again, Michele. You sound way too frantic.)
"Mommy, that was HIM. I just saw HIM in that car. Didn't you see it? The blue one with the .... "
"Who, who did you see? What are you talking about?"
"It was SAM, Mommy!!! Sam was in the car that just went past us. Quick, if we hurry we can catch up. Go, go, go... "
I sat there waiting for my heart to start beating again...
"Mommy?"
"Yes, Trinity."
"You look funny. What's wrong with your face? "

Photobucket

14 comments:

Missy said...

That is funny! Dangerous, but funny!

blueviolet said...

Wait, who's Sam? What post did I miss and need to go read?

otin said...

Dear God are you going to have some rough teenage years! LOL!

When I was about 5 I could not understand why we had to stop at traffic lights. One time my mother was putting on some makeup at a light and I thought that it would be fun to tell her that the light had turned green, even though it was still red. Yep, lucky to be alive today! :)

magda said...

She continues to be so far beyond her years. I would have crashed and then beat the shit out of her. Wait. That is what my mom would have done.

magda said...

for many years my sister would blow my mind with this trick she would perform in the car. she would bet me that even with her eyes closed, she could tell when the lights turned green or red. she always got it right, totally confirming her magical abilities. it took a long time for me to figure out how she did it.

The K Family said...

I would have tried to turn around and find "Sam." :)

Maven said...

Sounds like a very smart girl :-)

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Sam's got a powerful hold on your daughter. Might want to keep her in the house until she's 18. Sounds like Sam has charisma.

Nancy C said...

OH, that scared me. What a relief that it was just "sam."

Flying Giggles and Lollipops said...

Wow, I would have freaked out. I am so glad your heart started back up again!

mudmama said...

Oh my, my!!! I had a feeling mid-story that it was going to be a Sam sighting! Have you actually met the notorious SAM yet? Glad she (and you) were okay!!

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

Maybe it's time to move...

Recovering Procrastinator said...

*gasp*

Lisa said...

OMG, that is HILARIOUS and MADDENING! The thing is, I feel SOOO lucky because I know you and Trin and I can picture/hear everything going on! So so so so funny.


Stupid Sam.