Friday, February 5

Squeaky Clean??

The other night, during bathtime, Trinity started washing her face. 
No, I mean, really washing her face. Like with SOAP and everything!! 
All I could see were these two little green eyes peeking out from a haze of purple lather.

She has never washed her face like that before ~ EVER. 

In fact, she hates washing her face. She will take one little corner of the cloth and barely dab it on her cheeks and call it done,  but there she was all bubbled up, and lovin' it ...  WTF???

After rinsing it all off, cheeks rosy from all the rubbing and scrubbing, soap residue still stuck to her left nostril,  she looked up at me with hopeful eyes....
"Mommy, does my skin look clean and smooth?"
"Umm, yeah.  Pretty much the cleanest face EVER.  Why the sudden love of soap?"
" Cuz Jeremy said pretty girls have clean smooth skin."

HUH???

I don't know about you ... but 
A five year old BOY giving beauty tips to my daughter?!?!
This is all it took for her to wash her face?
When do we lose our power of persuasion over our children?
Am I destined to have a child just like I was ... ?(nothing was true my mother told me until I heard it from someone else)
Is this a single parent thing?
Does this make me an ineffective, bad mother?
Do we all question our parenting skills to this degree, or is it just me being overly-sensative and neurotic over the simple act of washing her face?
Should I just be thankful that something gave her the incentive; or be concerned that she is doing it for the wrong reasons?

Just sayin' . . .

13 comments:

blueviolet said...

Uh oh, does she like this Jeremy? And what kind of soap is purple?

Janie B said...

I would love to meet your daughter some day. She has quite the personality.

otin said...

It is hard for me to imagine little kids at that age, talking about what is pretty and associating with the opposite sex. What ever happened to cooties????

Lori E said...

We lose our power of persuasion over our kids the day they are born. It just gets worse and worse until one day they have kids of their own and then they notice how much smarter "we" have gotten since they were young.

Just A Mom (Call me JAM for short) said...

Mmmm... enjoy her being five. Because she is going to be 15 before you know it. Then the real fun begins!

Hope you have a great weekend. Stop by if you get a chance, I've got a giveaway going on that I think both you and your daughter will like!

Amy said...

how funny..

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Um, it's entirely possible that Jeremy likes Sam. If he's giving beauty tips at this age, hairdressing school is not an unlikely choice.

j said...

wow, this jeremy must be quite the catch. lol

Fragrant Liar said...

I hear ya. As a matter of fact, today in particular, I hear you loud and clear about this parenting thing. Trust me on this, you will never find out how you rated as a parent until they are adults and can SHOW you. It's gonna happen, so till that day comes, just relax and trust in yourself to do the best you can.

Brian Miller said...

i accidently attended my sons wedding in kindergarten..i just happened to have lunch with him on the day...tragic, they are in different classes this year...

mudmama said...

Just sounds like a case of boy craziness to me! :)

Unknown Mami said...

I was so hard on my mother and I'm sure it's all going to come back and bite me in the butt!

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

I think Jeremy quite possibly is gay. Just sayin.