Saturday, April 3

Bloggers Beware

Something came to my attention today
Something disturbing that I think needs to be out in the open.

In my years of blogging, I have seen a few things that I don't agree wtih here and there: bad blogging ethics, the odd catfight between bloggers. I have never posted about it, nor have I ever named names, until now.

A short while ago, a blog that I follow did the ultimate betrayal that we could ever do to each other, in my opinion.  She stole posts from us, WORD FOR FREAKIN' WORD!!! and claimed it as her own.  She also used a photo of a fellow bloggy friend's children and passed them off as her own. 

It took me all day to pick my jaw up off the floor.

I am severely disappointed in this woman, who I mistakenly considered a blog friend.  I have followed her for a long time, and always enjoyed her posts, and her comments made on my blog as well.  She was remarkably funny and genuine, or so I thought. 

Missy, at Is It Just Me
if you are reading this.  You should be absolulety ashamed of yourself.  And given the fact that you have gone private, says something in itself.  Although I do suspect it may have been from all the "negative" comments you might have received. 
Either way, I am deeply disappointed in the lack of respect you have shown to your fellow bloggers, who not only trusted you and let you into their world, but followed you loyally while you were ripping off our ideas and words. 

So, having said that.  My advice to all of you is to be aware of people like this out there.
I'm not sure how much we can really do about it, or how much it really matters in the end. 
I know what is mine, and if you're plagerizing off of me, well then I guess it's your bed you sleep in.

But bottom line, it's wrong.  It's Plagerism.  And it's shameful and a deliberate act of disrespect to those of us who share our hearts and lives openly.

I just want to thank Arizona Mama for bringing this to light.  You can read her original post HERE.
Also to Erin over at the Mother Load, who's pictures of her children were stolen off her blog.  You can read her post HERE .

I'm still shaking my head.
Any thoughts or ideas how to protect ourselves, or copyright our work... feel free to add your two cents.  And help spread the word that this will not be tolerated.
Photobucket

16 comments:

SamiJoe said...

Guffawed!

Christine Macdonald said...

Wow. More of a reason to spend the time and little money to copyright.

Here is the US Copyright Office site: http://www.copyright.gov/

Thank you for this post. And shame on anyone who does this.

Hugs,
Christine

Menopausal New Mom said...

Thanks for helping us spread the word!

gayle said...

I read this when Erin posted it. It is so hard to believe someone would do this!! and Why!!

Mrs. D said...

I don't know this blogger, but I've heard.... word gets around on the interwebz. I HATE copycats. It's been a thing since kindergarten that's pissed me off.

I hope she is happy with herself. I check my posts regularly on copyscape.com to see if anyone's stealing my words.

That One Mom said...

I heard about this from some of the girls while I've been gone. I am appalled.

Brian Miller said...

seriously messed up...

hope you have an incredible sunday!

Erin said...

Thank you for posting this and helping spread the word. I hope everyone will take the steps to protect themselves. I did the myfreecopyright thing, but I'm going to check out this copyscape thing now, too....

And I'm going to add a link to your post to my post now.

Appreciate your help getting the word out that we all need to be more careful!
;-)

Happy Easter!

otin said...

What kind of weird crap is that??

That truly is one of the strangest things that I ever have read in my blogging history. And to use someone elses kids????

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

She got you too. I just read what she did to Erin. It's criminal.

Christiejolu said...

I too followed Missy. I admired her for raising 2 small children that weren't hers. I loved her blog, it was one of my favorites. What a sucker I feel like. But I feel more for Erin and AZ Momma!

Kmama said...

Oh wow. How shameful. I just don't understand people!

Emmy said...

Wow, that is just sick and wrong. I know I have had lots of pictures stolen off of my blog.. usually by someone in India who will come on and steal 20-30 pics at at time, makes me so mad and I wonder where they are ending up...

but for a fellow blogger to be doing this and presenting it as her own, that is just wrong and scary!!

The Empress said...

This scares me. I'm going to check out "free copyright" . I just can't get over people sometimes. I'm following all the links to this.

Wow.

Unknown Mami said...

This is really disappointing.

Arizona Mamma said...

Crazy stuff I tell ya.

I did a post in livewriter tonight thanks to your suggestion.